10 October 2021

Guys and Dolls 1995

I think it was sometime in 1995 that University of Nevada-Reno had an opening in their Music Department for a Voice Professor for which I applied. I unfortunately didn't get it, but interestingly a colleague of mine from University of Illinois, soprano Katherine DeBoer, was hired and then hired me to teach there as an adjunct.

Meanwhile, I was still working as an adjunct in Voice at WNCC and doing vocal direction for Western Nevada Musical Theatre Co. In the Spring of 1995 we did Guys and Dolls recasting the leads from Camelot, Laura Rawlings and August Stoten, as Miss Sarah Brown and Sky Masterson. Though not your typical body type for the character of Nicely-Nicely Johnson, I was cast in that part probably because it was so high vocally. Lots of Gs.

I remember making a bit of always eating cheesecake when I was onstage. At one point we had Scott Anderson (Nathan Detroit) wave his arms and knock a cream pie into my face which though cheap always got a laugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment