15 October 2021

Secret Garden 1996

In April of 1996 I began teaching Voice as an adjunct for Lake Tahoe Community College in South Lake Tahoe, CA, becoming what is known as a "freeway flyer" since I was teaching part-time at three different colleges, WNCC in Carson City, UNR in Reno, and LTCC.

In May of 1996 WNMTC produced The Secret Garden, a musical based on the well-known children's book. I noticed the program has me listed as music director, though I'm not really sure that I did anything any different than previous musicals which was rehearsing the leads and the chorus on their music. Bob Grant played one of the male leads and Stephanie Arrigotti conducted the orchestra. I also played the supporting role of Captain Albert Lennox, the father of Mary Lennox. The show had beautiful music written by Lucy Simon, the sister of Carly Simon. I also remember there being a particularly challenging choral piece that had something like 9-part polyphony.

I think it was Stephanie who gave me the little memento below. The picture on the right has Jeffrey Scott (the father of Sierra who played Mary), Denise Riley, and me.

Below is a photo of Denise Riley, Liz Niven, Bob Grant, and me.

No comments:

Post a Comment