28 October 2021

Jesus Christ Superstar 1998

For some reason Dave Hamilton decided to change the production of the one musical a year that LTCC was going to do from Fall quarter to Spring Quarter which is why we had Fiddler in Fall 1996 and then Superstar not until Spring of 1998. I remember talking with him about what show to do, and he had mentioned Superstar since he had always wanted to do it. I had said I love Superstar and had done it about four years ago. He asked about how we could do a full orchestra in that space, and I said that would be tough, but you could use MIDI. I knew about MIDI but had not really ever done much with it. So I pretty much taught myself how to create MIDI background tracks during Superstar. We could also customize it to the singer, change keys, add percussion, etc. The other benefit would be that I would be available if needed to perform any of the roles. As it turned out I ended up playing Judas, Dave played Simon, and Kurt Munger played Peter. We like to say our production was one of the first to "modernize" the story.

The Trib gave us a nice little promo piece.

Below are some photos from the production. Since Ron Bush (who was playing Jesus) and I had similar hair color, we kind of looked like Big Jesus and Little Jesus. I ended up bleaching mine to platinum blonde for a sort of Billy Idol look.

No comments:

Post a Comment