23 September 2021

Kismet 1991

The Opera Department at Millikin was putting on Kismet in early May of 1991. About a week before they opened, the student (Rob Little) playing the lead part of The Poet got injured when he was accidentally dropped during a lift. They had the student playing the role of The Caliph, Eric Brzonkala, take over the part of The Poet, and Steve Fiol asked me if I would learn The Caliph. Fortunately he doesn't have many lines and does get to sing a beautiful duet, "Strangers in Paradise," so I said sure. (Plus who turns down their boss when they ask for a favor?)

I started rehearsing with them and learned all the lines, music, and blocking. I was ready to go on and even had been listed in the program.

Then I get sick with the worst laryngitis I have ever had (then or since) three days before we were to open. I was able to see an ENT and after looking at my cords he said, "I wouldn't sing if I were you. You could damage your voice." 

So I tell Steve this, and after the initial shock washes over, he gets on the phone. He soon was able to get a recent Millikin grad who was working professionally in Chicago to come down and take over my part learning it in a day. I wish I could remember his name, he had a great voice. Anyway, just goes to show, an actor is never irreplaceable.

No comments:

Post a Comment