13 September 2021

Little Night Music 1987

It is often said, "It's not what you know, but who you know." This was especially true when I was offered a gig as Henrik in A Little Night Music with the Augusta Opera

Our director at Illinois Opera, Mark Flint, was a working professional opera conductor and had worked often at the Augusta Opera in Augusta, GA. Later he would become the Artistic Director there. The general director at the time, Edward Bradberry, had called him up and asked if he knew anyone that could play Henrik. This time I just happened to be that guy. Normally professional regional companies hire all of their singers from New York, so I was fortunate that "Maestro" (as we called Mark Flint) had recommended me.

I got flown down to Augusta and stayed in the guest house of Board Members Charles and Dordy Freeman. We blocked and rehearsed for a week and then went into a week of tech and dress rehearsals before we opened on April 29. Augusta's budget was sizeable, they had awesome promotional materials (above) and programs (below), not to mention costumes and sets.

We were mentioned in Opera News and also got nice reviews from the Augusta Chronicle and Augusta Herald.

I've also always liked this publicity shot of me playing the cello with Rondi Charlston as Ann looking on teasingly. Small world, while I was in my master's program at Iowa, I sang in the choir with her brother, Eric.

It was such a great experience getting to work with professionals from NYC, I had to really up my game. Something I'll never forget was overhearing British actress Joyce Worsley who had played Mrs. Pierce in the original My Fair Lady on Broadway (she was our Madame Armfeldt), say about me to Susan Long who was playing Desirée, "That Henrik, he's intense." Below are several candid shots I found and thought would be fun to add.

We also had plenty of time to party, and I even got to go to Charleston, SC to visit my sister, Dawn, and her family.

No comments:

Post a Comment