02 September 2021

Cole! at the Ivanhoe 1984

The run of Cole! at the Unicorn Theatre in Wilmette was fairly successful. At least enough that they decided to move the show to the Ivanhoe Theatre which was an Off-Loop theatre on the Near North Side of Chicago. We did six shows a week from June 26-August 19. It was Non-Equity, but I was thrilled to be getting $200 a week. Back then that seemed like a lot of money.

The reviewers weren't quite as kind this time around, though I happened to get one of the best reviews I've ever gotten.

Shortly before I took the extended gig, Amy and I had decided we were done with Chicago, and were going to move to Urbana-Champaign to go back to grad school. We spent the summer staying with her folks in Pekin, IL, and I would drive up to Chicago Thursdays through Sundays to do the shows. I remember Roger Anderson and Joe Daab were kind enough to let me crash at their places so I wouldn't have to get a hotel. So ended my stint as a starving musician in the Windy City.

No comments:

Post a Comment